Tuesday, June 18, 2013

I'm baaaaa-aaaaack

Long time no speak. A lot has happened since you last heard from me. I had a podcast, and hope to start that again called the F BombCast. I Had a job and lost that too. Most importantly to this blog, I really slowed down on my comic reading. This is not because I wasn't enjoying it, I still love comics and the medium. This was mainly due to the statement just before. I lost my job. Comic books are expensive, especially reading them on the level that I was. Anyone who says that comic books are a child's hobby, either know some independently wealthy or spoiled kids, or have no clue what they are talking about (I think it is the latter).

Also in this time frame I have gotten an iPad. I love my iPad and I tried reading comics digitally. I never thought I would like this. I've always been a more traditional guy in all aspects of my life, and I thought comics would be no different. Boy was I wrong. Everything is dependent on the app since each have their own different way to read, and I cannot stand some of them. This is why I will never read a Dark Horse comic digitally. The reading experience is horrible in my opinion. The top of the stack is Comixology with their guided view technology. This is perfect for me and luckily for me 90% of publishers are with them. Last is amazon with their hybrid of comixology and its own system. In a pinch I can use this and have, but I still prefer comixology. 

The other great thing about digital comics is the sales and the free comics.  So many of the smaller publishers offer free first issue and discounts to older comics as low as 99 cent issues. The big two have sales as well, with Marvel usually running a sale twice a week, and DC automatically discounting its comics that are over a month old.

Here is the plan, folks, I am poor as dirt right now, but I have accumulated a lot of these free and discounted issues. I am going to try and get back into the space of writing reviews and more importantly reading comics. I plan to do at least one review a week (hopefully more). That being said, since I cannot afford new issues, these will mostly be older stuff. 

Thanks for reading and it feels good to say again Thank God It's Wednesday. 

No comments: