Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Next Major purchase

OK Folks being that this is my blog and i can talk about anything i fucking want i am going to talk about the next major purchase in my life.

I am jumping off the PC bandwagon folks. I am going to be getting an iMac once my refund check arrives. (the tax credits you get for having a kid are amazing).

Here is my dilemma. I could get a bright shiny new iMac with a 320 gb HD, 256mb ATI 2600 pro Video card, 1gb RAM (more on this later), and a 20" screen for5 $1499 plus tax and i think i will get the applecare as well. Or I can get a refurb 24" with the same configuration for the same price.

My buddy Dave and I were in a mall on Sunday looking at the two screens and he convinced me that there was no reason to buy the 24". I really just looked obnoxious. But the more i think about, i am an obnoxious type of guy. i love to have bigger (fuck man I'm Irish i need to compensate for small with all my major purchases)(in case that flew past your head yes this will be an extension of my penis). I can Upgrade the Ram (still more info to come) I can upgrade the HD with an external one but you cannot really upgrade the screen size on an imac unless you want to connect a second screen (which even for me would be bawdy and excessive).

So i ask all my readers which would you go with? Are there any mac users in my reading audience (Ali i know you are) that can give some advice. Also would any of you recommend any of the dummy books for switching from PC to OS X. I truly have no clue what i am doing.

Now to the teased RAM bit. Apple only puts in 1GB sticks in the machine. I really want at least 2GB and was going to have apple do this as I am all thumbs when i comes to this shit. So i was looking at their pricing and saw that they were charging $100 bucks for a 1GB stick. OK what ever if i want it i want it right.
Well after a little research i find that i can basically get a 4GB kit from reputable online sources for Roughly the same price. What the fuck does apple think i am a fucking moron. Who the hell would pay for them to put in a 1GB stick when you can get 400% more for the same cost.

Oh well if any of you have nay advise please let me know.

Talk to you later,

TJ

2 comments:

Geek Bry said...

Buy the 24" screen. I have a 20" at home and at times I certainly wish I had more screen realestate.

If you want to upgrade the RAM (which you do) don't buy it from Apple, get it from Crucial.com. You will be amazed at how cheap it is.

Enjoy your new Mac.

Anonymous said...

Depends on your useage. If you are going to be playing games or watching movies, go for the screen. Always great to have more screenage. On the other hand, it can get annoying when you are using Word or Excel and reach the end of the mousepad and realize you havent even come close to the right hand side of the screen.

My question to you is two-fold:
First, have you heard anything on how Windows runs on the Macs? I heard its still a little choppy.

Second, when is the defacto Academy reunion?