Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My problem with countdown

OK People. i know a lot of you have jumped off of countdown. i have convinced some to stay (kevin I'm looking at you big guy) and they are happy they did.

The writing has been fantastic. The story is really picking up and i believe editorial has listened to everyone and really changed the pace from "the spine of the DCU" to the 52 style "here are some b+ character that are very important to this story and we are just going to talk about them". OK fanboys don't get you superman undies in a bunch. i know Kyle Rayner, Darkseid, Ray Palmer, et al are not the b listers we saw in 52 but they are still not the cream of the crop characters. Hell Rayner is not even the third best GL. (i know i will take a beating for that one but my fucking forum name is gardnerisgod).

My problem lies withing the art (and sometimes editorials decision with it). I have liked not loved the art in almost every issue (except i think maybe 10(?) where i threw up in my mouth a little bit). What my problem is is that it seems to me that the artist have a grasp on most of the characters but there is always one that when i first see them i have to ask myself "who the fuck is that?".

I just finished issue 8 in the car at work this morning and jimmy olson looked fucking ridiculous. I am a fan of Magno's art for everyone else. That motherfucker can draw a mean Ray Palmer but holy fuck this guy is one of the main artist on this book and he still cannot grasp how to draw Olsen. When i saw the first panel with him in it i was thinking to myself " I am reading an old issue of the Newsboy legion and Olsen is 12". He truly looked like a pre pubescent little boy. I mean for Christ sake this guy is one of the Top photographers of a Major Newspaper. There is no way he just hit puberty last week.

And before any artist get mad at me i know ding group books like this are hard and especially if you are not the only artist. I don't expect everyone to look the same as each artist has their own style and That is something i love. Hell if each artist looked the same then we wouldn't go crazy looking for sketches and original pieces. But for fucks sake can you at least make the kid the right age.

Well that is my rant for now. Back later with my haul. (I've checked what i am getting already and that post should be very small.

TJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shoutout T. Yes I am truly a member of the converted when it comes to Countdown the book is fantatstic the writing by Dini overcame some early focus problems and is now spot on. My problem with Jimmy Olsen however is not just the way he is drawn but his entire existence. Seriously. He is the Wesley Crusher of the DCU and I think my early problem with Countdown was that it was so Olsen heavy in the initial issues Hopefully Jimmy Olsen will finally bite it in Final Crisis it will go a long way towards removing the cheese factor from the Superman Family. Guy Gardener however is in fact God.

Kevin