Wednesday, July 2, 2008

My haul

OK Folks this is one of those great holiday weeks where the Holiday doesn't fuck up comic releases.

Here's what I got:
Batman
Spiderman
The Boys
Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2 (yes Mike and Kevin i do listen to you assholes sometimes.)

I will blog about Guardians of the Galaxy later (most likely tomorrow). But i feel i need to talk about Batman 678.

Holy Fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought Grant Morrison was firing on all cylinders on Final Crisis but this shit is blowing me away as well.

First the Covers!  I may be alone in this but I am getting really fucking sick of Alex Ross Covers.  I mean yeah they are beautiful but they all seem the same to me.  I wish they would let Daniel do a few or more if he had been doing them before this.

The Interior art is a masterpiece. Daniel really knows how to capture the spirit of Batman and combine that with the craziness of the Morrison writing.  Well Done sir!

The writing.  Grant Fucking Morrison. (yeah that's all I need to say)

Bruce Wayne homeless? Check! Addicted to Crystal meth and Heroin? Check! Dick Grayson given so much Thorazine that he has gone crazy and is foaming at the mouth? Check! Jason Todd being chased by a Mime and a guy that looks like the Black Knight of Monty Python Fame? Check! Morrison bringing back a concept that was first introduced in Batman 113 in 1958? Check! All I can really say is Holy Fuck! What a motherfucking read! 

Oh and to check out the Zur-En-Arrh shit from 1958 read this site: DC Encyclopedia

And to understand what Grant is doing to the character, his interview with Comic Book Resources sums it up.  In that interview he said that what will happen to batman is "so much better than death. People have killed characters in the past but to me, that kind of ends the story! I like to keep the story twisting and turning. So what I am doing is a fate worse than death. Things that no one would expect to see happen to these guys at all."

Well, like I said, I will blog about my experience with Guardians of the Galaxy either later today or tomorrow.

Talk to y'all later,

TJ

No comments: