Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Gotham Underground 4 & 5

Sorry about the long break between post. I have been busy at work and god knows i don't do this in my free time. Actually busy at work is sort of a misnomer. I have been busy at work studying all things Mac and Apple as my computer arrived last night and what a fucking machine that is. Well let me do some comics things and possibly tomorrow i will post some pics of my new sweet ass computer.

Lets start today with a two for one. Gotham Underground #4 & 5


















This book is Written by Frank Tieri; Art by J. Calafiore & Jack Purcell (yeah i just copied and pasted that because that is the type of mood i am in.


First i will do the basics then i will go into a fucking rant.

The art is very good. i really like how the characters are drawn. (how is that for basic.

The writing is OK. Each character does have their own voice (and there are a ton of characters). There is nothing that keeps me going though other then i have ordered till 7 and i feel like i am pot committed.

The story is about the criminals of Gotham trying to figure out who is in charge and Batman going underground to try to find the same answer. A concept that should be great but i feel like it is not being executed as well as it could be.

Now the things that are pissing me off. Take a quick look at the two covers that i posted. Robin and nightwing right. Can you guess what role they had in these two issues? I bet you can if you know me. Not a fucking thing. I feel like Calafiore said to editorial "i can draw the fuck out of nightwing and Robin. This story is based in Gotham. How about we make those two the covers?" Hopefully editorial came back with "Well Jim those two characters play rather minor roles don't you think a pic of the criminals that play a role would be better?" Calafiore would then come back with "I guess" and then go crying and pouting into the corner until they allow him to draw the covers he wants. I don't know if that is exactly how it went but in mind it is.

The other thing that pissed me off is that in issue 5 they decided to make all the panels into little puzzle pieces and to be fucking coy with me by removing the puzzle piece that would be in front of the face of the character that would be the big reveal. Fuck you this is a gimmick that belongs in a child's book. it is not original and it drew me so far out of the story that i could have been reading the greatest book over all and would still have been saying to myself "why are all these fucking puzzle pieces all over the place". Very sloppy and very annoying.

I would not recommend this book. i would not recommend the trade.

Well I will talk to you all later.

TJ

No comments: