Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Complete Bite Club

Today's Review is on the Complete Bite Club TPB



This Book is Bite Club 1-6 and Bite Club Vampire Crimes Unit 1-5 All written by Howard Chaykin & David Tischman and Penciled by David Hahn

OK the art was OK. I know you guys are used to me gushing about the beautiful art in books but this was typical Vertigo art which almost never blows me away. And some of the things looked slightly ridiculous. I mean come on Tits are not that pointy. On a cold day some of the boobs in this book could take a fucking eye out.

Now to the story. I was very excited to get this book because a lot of people tell me how great Chaykin is. Well if this is an example of his writing skills then I am glad that I have read almost nothing of his before. The story takes place in Miami and Centers on a Vampire Mafia Family (oh yeah and in this universe the whole world knows that Vampires exist. They are just another group like Jews, and Hispanics in Miami). So right away i am thinking What can go wrong with this, I like Mafia Stories, I like Vampire stories, put the two together and it should be a wild romp that leaves my seat a little wet. i could not have been more wrong. As I was reading this I was thanking god that I didn't by this is single issue form (lets get away from the term Floppies people.) I was actually getting Mad for the people that bought this in issues. There were some issues/chapters where nothing happened. Now I've read books like this before (Moon Knight I am looking at you) but there was always something in the last couple of pages that would make me want to get the next issue. There was no such thing in this book. If anyone bought this in single issue then they are either the Biggest Chaykin fan in the world or a complete masochist. But i digress, the story deals with the struggles of the Del Toro Family as the Patriarch was murdered and they are struggling to get underneath the new head. I am even bored as I am typing this. Just take my word for it it is not worth my typing.

Now here is something that I thought i would never have ever said about a comic. There are parts in here that are edgy just to be edgy (and I am a huge Ennis fan). There was no reason to see the Little Sister Risa tell her lesbian lover that next time they should use the bigger Dildo. Where the fuck does that fit into the story. I think it would only appeal to pre-pubescent teens looking to get a laugh. Half the nude scenes felt out of place and like i stated above did not look realistic at all.

This book did make me realize what a great writer Garth Ennis is though. When you read an Ennis book it is edgy and very vulgar but somehow it all fits into the story. Here it was just to get teens to have an erection and want to buy more. Stupid Shit.

I wish I could get my $20 back. I hope i saved you the money. Please stay away from this book.

TJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kinda bummed to read your review of Bite Club. I was curious enough that I was thinking about picking this up, but it kinda sounds like that would be a waste of time. I've been digging the Anita Blake books so I thought this would be another fun Vampire comic.