Friday, September 21, 2007

The Crystal Shard

Today's review is a Actual Book (yes people i can read things without pictures)




This Was Written by R.A. Salvatore and penciled by (wait a minute this book has no pictures)

I must start off by thanking my Sister-in-Law's Boyfriend, Nick, for recommending this. When I walk into someone Else's house I always look at their DVD Collection first. When I noticed that his collection was almost identical to mine i knew this is someone I would get a long with right away. And then once we both started dropping "The State" references during a beer pong game (much to the dumbfounded look of my sister in law) I was reassured. So if he recommends something to me I will always look into it. Ok Enough of the shout out.

Well now to the Book. This book is based in the D&D world of the Forgotten Realms and follows a band of villages known as the Ten Towns. These Towns are based in the frozen lands of Icewind Dale. As with Most D&D books there are Evil Wizard, Ogres, Halflings. (hell if you've ever played D&D you can tell where this is going.) Salvatore also introduced a new race in the forgotten Realms world, the Dark Elf. The basic plot is there is this week wizards apprentice that finds this very powerful relic that helps him become the strongest wizard in the world. He vows to Become the Tyrant of Ten Towns but meets resistance by the people of the Towns. Now that is the Completely dumbed down summary, Trust me there is a lot more to it then that.

This book is the First Part of a trilogy. In that you can tell it is just that. A lot of the book is a character study of the Main Characters: Drizzt the dark Elf, Bruenor the Dwarf, Wulfgar the barbarian, and Regis the Halfling. There is enough other things in this book though to keep you interested while you are learning the quirks of these character.

Great Book! If you are looking for something with More words then Pictures and like Fantasy do yourself a favor and pick up this book. I know i am looking forward to the next book.

TJ

No comments: