Thursday, September 20, 2007

Countdown to Mystery #1

Ok My review today is Countdown to Mystery #1


This was Written by Steve Gerber and Matt Sturges and Pencilled by Justiniano, Walden Wong and Stephan Segovia.

OK I normally don't review things this close to the release date so I will try to avoid spoilers as best i can.

Let me start out with I am against these Countdown minis (-), I don't like Justiniano's art (--), it was priced at $3.99 (---) and i am not a fan of books that are two separate stories (----). So by my count this book already has four minuses against it. You may ask "TJ why the hell did you even pick this book up?" OK I'll give you a second to ask that ................................................................................................................................. OK that is enough time. I was asking myself that very same question. IT wasn't even like it was a slow week at the LCS where i was looking for things to buy.

I think I picked this up because i am interest in the Mary Marvel part of countdown but know nothing of eclipso.

Ok to the Art. Surprisingly I loved it. I don't know why because as stated I have not liked anything else that Justiniano has done. This was just very good and I will leave it at that. He does the art for the Doctor Fate Story and the others are on the art for the Eclipso story and it is also very good. A little scratchy there but i think still very good.

Now to the story. If any of you have ever read Howard the Duck, the Dr. Fate story seemed very familiar to this. It may sound weird because Howard was very Humorous and Dr. Fate not so much but bear with me people. Both are about people trapped in a strange world with unique things happening to them. Both deal with them dealing with these situations. THis makes sense becaue the most know Howard writer is Steve Gerber. It also tells you the recent history of the helmet of Fate as well which is good because i didn't read any of these stories. Fantastic writing good art, great Buy.

The Eclipso story is great as well. It deals a lot with the Spectre which we learn is half of what eclipso used to be and the death of a murderer in London. i love the spectre and this is a very well written story. I loved this book.

This just goes to show you that even a book that has so much against it can still be a great read. I have read almost all my books of this week already and I believe that this may be the best book I've read this week.

Buy it.

TJ

No comments: