Thursday, September 6, 2007

MIce Templar #1

Well i said I might post more today and here I go. and I will forewarn i am going to spoil some things.



The first book i read out of my box was Mice Templar #1







This book was written by Brian Glass and Penciled by Michael Avon Oeming.



First I have to say Oh My god!!!! This books art work is amazing. for some sample images please go to http://imagecomics.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=35538.


It really is breathtaking.


Now to the story. It is about a community of mice that get along together and pass on through oral tradition the story of the Mice Templar. People (for gods sake TJ they are mice get that through your skull) don't know whether or not the stories are true or just legend including or hero. Then the action picks up with the Village being overrun by the Villains of the book. Can you guess what they are people, Come on i know you can. Well your wrong it is not cats it is actually rats. They are searching for the last remaining Templar who turns out to be the Blacksmith. After the battle is over the Hero (whose name is not on the tip of my tongue, sorry but they have Tolkien like names and there are tons of them) because a crusader for the Templar.


Here is the problem with this book. All the f'ing Mice look the same. I really took effort to figure out who was talking. And can we get one Smith or Johnson (ha ha I typed johnson) for god's sake. Why do we need to have all the Fantasy names like Leito, Deishun, and some other unpronounceable syllables. Mike, please for the love of god Lets ad some different facial expressions and even some color to the mice to differentiate. This is fantasy can we get something other then white mice. This 56 page book with no ads(yes that was also fantastic) took me almost an hour to read. Not only because it was that deep but some of that time was spent just trying to figure out who the hell was talking.


The end was engrossing enough that i want to pick up #2 but if it hurts my head squinting just to see "oh that one has blue eyes slits rather then green eye slits so it must be Leito" I will be stopping there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i thought i was going to have some major issues with this book because I liked Mouseguard so much, but I really enjoyed it. Really engaging story and was really a nice little epic story. Didn't have the same experience with trying to identify the various mice from one another, but can definetly see where you are coming from. Looking forward to seeing where this goes