Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Scalped Vol 1 Indian Country

Today's review is Scalped TPB vol 1 Indian Country


This book is written by Jason Aaron and pencilled by R.M. Guera

The art in this book is typical Vertigo. I know I have said this before and all you vertigo readers know what I am talking about. It didn't blow me away but it also didn't cause me to need to stop reading. i thought the use of Colors (or lack of) during the flashback was nice but also has felt used before.

The writing is this book was OK. I was expecting to be blown away by it because so many people have said such great things about this book. I may have been underwhelmed because I had such high expectations. this has happened to me many times. I also think that Aaron was trying too hard to be Vaughn. If any of you out there have read a BKV book you know the blot device he uses that basically jumps back in forth in time and he tells you exactly when things are happening. For example on the top of one page is Present, the next page says 25 minutes ago, next page says 4 years ago, then back to present. Wash Rinse Repeat but in the world of comics. I think that BKV does this perfectly in Y: The last Man and Ex Machina, here Aaron is still trying to figure it out.(I believe the first person to do this to perfection was Moore in the Watchmen when he did the Doc Manhattan chapter though)

The Basic Story deals with this Indian tribe the is run like the mafia by a Chief Red Crow. It follows an Indian (sorry Native American nah Fuck it I meant Indian) that left to go to war and is now returning to the fold very Michael Corleone like, named Dashiel Bad horse. We come to learn that Dash is working both sides of the Fence here (not to be confused with both sides of the plate because this man is surely straight) by also being an undercover agent with the FBI. We meet his mother who has history with Red Crow and Red Crow's daughter who is a good old fashion whore.

This Book consist of issues 1-5. The First 3 issues is an introduction to the characters and a little look behind some of there motives. These were the hardest to get through. I found the pacing incredibly slow and the purpose of introducing not done well at all. Issues 4-5 is where we start to see behind the motives of Dash more and also learn more about his family history with this tribe. i thought these were very well written.

I give this a solid B-. I am interested picking up the second trade because maybe it picks up. But if it doesn't i will only be getting those two.

TJ

No comments: